As witnesses of God’s love and followers of Jesus we so much wish to be a good neighbour and respond in practical ways to the needs of the people of Kidlington and the wider world. Here are some examples:
- Create a truly accessible place for the community to include support for vision, hearing, mobility, developmental and other disabilities.
- Address ecological concerns, to include energy use, support of a local natural environment, use of sustainable products
- Provide a flexible, low-cost meeting place for other local organisations supporting the Kidlington Community.
The building entrance is not welcoming and can appear forbidding. The ramp to the doors is narrow and difficult to negotiate through to the entrance foyer, which is small and dark. With more than three people there, it is difficult for anyone to pass, especially those with disabilities. There is no room for chairs or tables nor is there provision for welcoming or refreshment.
The passage towards the rear rooms and toilets is exceedingly narrow and difficult for two adults to pass each other without touching. The entranceways into the toilets and other rooms are difficult to negotiate using any mobility aid. The doors into the main hall need repair. There is no room suitable for a quiet space or private conversation.
The floor of the main hall has subsided and requires re-support. The lighting is inflexible. AV and other facilities do not suit the adaptable orientation of our seating. The heating system is old, inefficient and costly and the building insulation is minimal, being anything but environmentally friendly.
We Plan To
Extend the foyer to provide a welcoming entrance to the church buildings and friendly meeting area with a small refreshment facility.
- Provide a furnished room for private conversations.
- Widen the corridor for accessible access to the rear of the building.
- Redesign and create accessible toilet and washroom facilities.
- Adjust the intermediate room layouts to provide flexible space for community activities and meetings.
- Improve the main hall to allow it to be used more flexibly for community and church-related activities, as well as devotional services.
We also plan to reduce our environmental impact by installing an air-source heat pump and underfloor heating, providing substantial insulation and, funds permitting, installing solar panels.
Why we need your help
The congregation has raised a magnificent £94,300, not far off the original target of £106,000, being a third of the total. However, since the plans were drawn up costs have risen considerably and the overall cost of the build is now £464,000. With grants from the Methodist Circuit and District and other bodies the total raised is 370,300.
Join with us to build a warm welcome, a safe space – Caring for Kidlington!
If you have any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can help by making a donation:
You can now also support Kidlington Methodist Church on #easyfundraising! When you sign up as a supporter, 4,400 shops and sites will donate for free, every time you shop online. This includes all the big names like eBay, John Lewis & Partners, Argos, ASOS, Expedia, M&S, Just Eat and many more!?https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/kidlingtonmethodistchurch
Be it large or small, your help in achieving our goal will be greatly appreciated.